First and foremost, we hope this note finds you and your loved ones healthy. We are overjoyed that A Little Something White can re-open on May 20th. In order to ensure the health and safety of our customers + employees as well as to comply with the state rules, we are implementing the following at A Little Something White until further notice.
~New Store Operations~
1. If you or your guest can answer “yes” to any of the following, we are asking that you refrain from entering the store. Are you sick, have a fever (temperature above 100 degrees), or have had one in the past 14 days? Have you been exposed to anyone exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms or who tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days? Are you living with anyone who is sick or quarantined? We will happily reschedule you for a time when you or your guest are healthy.
2. We are asking our stylists to connect with you over Zoom/Facetime or the phone, at a minimum. This will allow us to learn about your wedding and get to know you so that we can pre-select some gowns for you (don’t worry, we will still show you around the store!) as well as gather some important information that we typically have you fill out by-hand.
3. Masks must be worn in the store at all times. If you or your guest is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, just let us know and we would be happy to schedule you an after-hours appointment.
4. We will be maintaining a maximum occupancy of 10 people. This means every customer is invited to bring 1 guest with them to their appointment. Want to bring more than 1 person? No problem! We have reserved certain appointment slots after hours for those wanting to bring multiple guests with them.
5. Please call the store after you park your car. We are asking that you remain in your car until we have properly sanitized the area you will be working in following the previous appointment. We will call you and let you know when you can enter.
6. We will ask you to wash your hands immediately upon entering the store. Hand sanitizer will be available at the front entrance as well as in ever bridal suite.
7. Bathrooms and elevators will be sanitized after every use.
8. Employees will be washing their hands in between appointmets
9. Bridal suites will be fully sanitized in between appointments. Any items touched during an appointment are being set aside and will be sanitized immediately following the appointment.
10. Bridal gowns and hangers will be steamed and sanitized in between try-ons.
11. Curbside pickup and drop-off as well as virtual appointments are available for anyone who is not yet comfortable coming into the store.
Keeping everyone safe and healthy is of the utmost important to us. If you have any questions about or procedures, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com.
There was a crispness to the air that day, one that made you want to cozy up with someone, pour a glass of wine + light a fire… what better place to do this than at a winery. The day was perfectly captured by the lenses of Shaina Lee Photo’s camera, every delicate detail + bursts of jewel toned colors found from the tablescape to the cake were caught!
The design dreamt up by the oh so talented Cindy over at Detaille Weddings, highlighting the natural beauty of the New England foliage with the hint of glamour to off set the rustic tones found in nature. The invites + menus were the perfect teaser for what was to come for the guests of this intimate gathering!
We chose a silk, slim fit gown with tie-back detailing designed by Theia for the brides ceremony look and she opted for some fun back jewelry + delicate drop earrings from our friends over at Libero Jewelers. Just in time for the reception there was a swap of accessories for that added pop of lushness, we added a white vintage fur + a pair of dramatic stunning crystal earrings from our Something Old Collection of vintage pieces ranging from 1930’s- 1970’s. The groom looked dapper in his crisp black tie look with corsage to match his bride’s lush bouquet accented with pops of jewel + rustic tones, from the pheasant feathers to the velvet ribbon.
THE INTIMATE GATHERING!
Table for six please! Vow renewals are all about showcasing what’s closest to your heart, this includes the people in your life who lifted you up as a couple, taught you how to love one another when things get tough, whether those people were your parents or siblings, we believe they should be present for the vow renewal, not only celebrating your love for one another, but for those who showed love to you as a couple. The table was perfectly set for 6, with sleek gold flatware, whimsical china + gold accented chargers, the soft blush touches + jewel toned linens are the perfect pop to the landscape of Chamard Vineyards.
First and foremost, we hope this note finds you and your loved ones healthy.
To our brides, even during the best of times, wedding planning can be challenging. We would imagine that right now, things have gotten even more complicated for you. To our high school graduates and parents, please know that we, too, are sad for all of the things your child is missing out on right now during this important phase of their life. All of us at A Little Something White are here to assist you in any way we can during this emotional time.
The health and safety of our staff and customers as well as the general population is critically important to us. As you know, Connecticut passed legislation on Friday, March 23rd requiring non-essential business to close until April 22nd. A Little Something White is considered non-essential, and as such we will be closed until that date. Please see a video below from owner Ashley regarding store operations during this time.
To the extent that I can be of any assistance to you during this time, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing you and your families health and resilience during this challenging time.
1. All appointments between 3/23 and 4/22 will be rescheduled for a later date. Someone from the ALSW team will contact you in the next 24-48 hours.
2. Our managers (Kim and Angelica) will continue to work behind our locked doors and the store will remain operational during this time. This means we will continue to receive packages, check in items, and place orders during this period. This is allowed under the Governor’s executive order.
3. Curbside pickup and drop-off are available by appointment during this time.
WHAT REALLY IS IN A WEDDING PLANNER’S E-KIT + WHAT YOUR SEAMSTRESS HAS TO TELL YOU!
Hi there- your gal pal Liz here, your in-house Marketing Coordinator/ former Assistant Wedding Planner+ Jack of all Trades! I can’t wait to share with you some fashion hacks I’ve learned in my 10+ years working in the wedding industry! I’ll be going over everything from some day-of must haves to keep in your E-Kit (aka Emergency Kit) to what you can do leading up to the big day to ensure everything is perfect! Say au revoir to those pesky bridal nightmares, pinched toes, the unruly veil + the pestering strap that refuses to stay up, plus so much more, be sure to scroll down!
Prior to finding my current home at A Little Something White I had the privilege of working with the rockstars over at Amy Champagne Events(they truly are prepared for everything) – can I just tell you the little E-KitJ-Lowears around her waist in the movie“The Wedding Planner”(you know exactly the one I’m talking about) is a real thing!Some dress essentials I had with me were a sewing kit, white chalk (for mild stains), even safety pins (a must to ensure a quick repair for a torn bustle)! I’m surprised there wasn’t a replacement dress in there to be honest, that’s how amazing we were! Some other day of essentials I recommend are: mini scissors, bobby pins, double sided tape, Tide pen, travel hair spray, lip gloss, sun screen for your shoulders (in case it’s an outdoor wedding), static guard (for the colder months), travel spray deodorant, band-aids, pain/ stomach medicine, mini water bottles, floss + mints!
It’s time to equip yourself with the knowledge that the Pro’s have known for decades! Happy Scrolling Ladies!
1. PINCHED TOES NO MORE!
Just like a seamstress should be your best friend, a shoe repair shop or (in this case) a shoe shaper should be your pair of Manolo’s best friend! From flats to 6″ heels, the company Formé has revolutionized the industry. Formé wings expand the toe box up to a ½ size, relieving numb + cramped toes. Prevents wrinkles + creasing so shoes stay looking new!
If any part of your wedding day is outdoors, know that wind LOVES veils! These dainty little pearls are the perfect solution to avoid a veil fiasco. Our friends at FloraNorth are here to help with their chic Veil Weights retailing for $20 for a set of 10. The weights are held together by magnets (meaning no damage to your veil), so simply place the veil in between the magnets, either along the trim or scattered throughout. Voilà, you have yourself a veil that won’t ruin your ceremony!
Peel, Stick + GO!Perky Pear is the perfect match for a plunging neckline or for the bride who doesn’t want to worry about shifting all night long. With multiple styles available, you’ll definitely find the right fit! We’ve personally used these in store for brides up to a cup size GGG! Wowzers, to say these pears are AMAZING is a gross understatement! Don’t fret…we have them in stock!
Another Peal, Stick + GO, these sole protectors from Sole Guard USA are definitely the way to go for those red bottom shoes, or even the “I DO” inscription written on the bottom of your bridal shoes! Make sure they stay scuff-free from the alterations to the Big Day!
This next one is such a game changer, you’re going to want to use it in your every day life! Have you ever wondered how professional dancers can wear those tight outfits, yet never have a wardrobe malfunctions? Ready for the inside scoop? They use BODY ADHESIVE! We’re excited to introduce JOMI Roll-On Body Adhesive, which has an easy apply roll on applicator. Just roll it on, let it dry enough to become tacky, and apply the strap or fabric you desire to keep in place. After the big night it washes off with soap and water. The best part is it’s even sweat proof, so dance your heart out ladies because there will be NO wardrobe malfunction for you!
7. FITNESS QUEENS- METAL WEIGHTS DAMAGING YOUR RING?
For those of us who have worked out with our engagement rings on + experienced that feeling of dread when grabbing a weight + hear the metals rub together or maybe worse, a weight chips your diamond! Cringe worthy am I right, but you love your ring so much you hate to take it off? Well here’s a couple go to items for our work out goddesses! First up, a genius little invention that was thought up by one of our brides, Emily Bonadies, The Buffr ring protector is a soft silicone band that interlocks with your ring to ensure there are no scuffs, plus they’re available in multiple colors!
Perfect for those activities we’d prefer not to have our rings on, a day at the beach, hiking or maybe even traveling! Try the Ring Hero, a wrist band that is ideal for easy access afterwards. Available in 3 colors!
REAL WEDDING // ALYSSA + ERIC // 10.19.19 //INTERLAKEN INN – LAKEVIEW, CT
For our fellow Great Gatsby lovers out there, this “meet cute” couldn’t have been written any better by F. Scott Fitzgerlad himself! Similar to the allure around the man, the myth… Gatsby, Eric Goldberg was Alyssa’s Jay Gatsby! With Eric being head social chair at their college, Alyssa always heard her friends talking about a man named “Goldberg”, yet didn’t have the chance to meet him until one year later. The line in The Great Gatsby said it perfectly,
“He had one of those rare smiles…. that you may come across four or five times in life… It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself.” – Nick (F. Scott Fitzgerald, 48)
Once meeting there, Alyssa + Eric had an instant connection, which grew more and more over time, especially when they realized they both shared a deep love for dogs. Cut to eight years + two German Shepherds later, they finally got to exchange their vows in front of all their friends and family. We had the privilege of sitting down with our bride Alyssa + getting all the details of their big day… Take a peek!
<> TELL US ABOUT THE PROPOSAL! <>
“Eric’s proposal was beyond anything I had ever imagined for myself and was so personal in the best of ways. Unfortunately a few years ago my father passed away and he and I were extremely close. Knowing this, Eric decided to propose at my dad’s favorite spot – sculptured rocks in New Hampshire. Eric randomly selected a spot and knelt down on one knee over a beautiful waterfall. We later found photos of my dad in the exact same spot! It means the world that my dad was incorporated into the proposal and a part of the wedding in this way.”
THE INSPO! The scene was set for the perfect wedding day with a festive nod to fall, from the burgundy + gold accents down to the pumpkins. There was a crispness in the air + a stillness to the lake, it was the ideal back drop for the exchange of vows.
It’s all in the details!
<> THOUGHTS WALKING DOWN THE AISLE <>
“I was definitely a bit anxious and concentrating hard not to trip on my gown, but mostly I was trying to take in the scenery and focus on my soon-to-be husband at the end of the aisle. I was very blessed to have my brother right by my side. He lives in Germany, but was able to fly in for the big day.”
THE CEREMONY! All the fall vibes + what’s better than being on the water lined with fall foliage?!
<> RELIVING A MOMENT <>
“I would say the best moment was our first kiss as husband and wife. The nerves of the day and getting through the ceremony had ceased and we were officially married. There was no better feeling than hearing all the people we love most in the world cheer as we kissed. It was also amazing knowing the rest of the night would be spent celebrating and overall it was a moment I will never forget.”
“Our humans are married!”
<> WORKING WITH ALSW <>
“A Little Something White was the BEST bridal shop I worked with and I went to several places. Everyone was so kind and supportive and each time I walked in, I was greeted with huge smiles and tremendous support. One of the greatest things is they never made me feel like I was a nuisance no matter how many questions I asked. They even recommended I come try my gown on one more time before the big day because I was starting to over-analyze whether or not it was too tight. I had the best experience from start to finish with them. Planning a wedding is ridiculously stressful, but my gown and the entire process was one less thing I needed to worry about. A little Something White took care of everything and put my mind at ease.”
“You mean aside from going to A Little Something White?! I would suggest definitely starting the process as early as possible, especially if you have a busy work schedule. This way there is less pressure to find THE DRESS at each appointment. I also recommend taking a night before you fully commit to the dress because it can be very emotional when you are in the store, especially seeing yourself in a wedding dress for the first time. I am so incredibly glad I waited for my dream dress instead of buying one at the first store. I actually fell in love with my dress, but decided to go to Kleinfelds before committing because I knew they had the widest selection. While I was there, it became evident that my dress was the one I fell in love with at A Little Something White!”
History of the colored wedding dress goes back decades, even as far back as biblical times. Wedding attire started out as brides wearing their nicest dress to say “I Do”, yet brides of wealth wore gowns with gold or silver embellishment + lush fabrics. The customary white bridal gown we know today was popularized by Queen Victoria in 1840, she dawned the first white ball gown during her ceremony to Prince Albert.
FUN FACT: History states, brides of wealth would have their gowns cleaned + wear it again for multiple occasions… So next time someone jokes that you can shorten it and wear it again, maybe that’s a thought to entertain!
OH STOP, YOU’RE MAKING US BLUSH!
Pink has been the iconic color of femininity + what better day to show that off than your wedding day! From the soft pastels to the bold hues!
<> MIRA ZWILLINGER – Jess <>
<> SAREH NOURI – Brooklyn, Peony, Violette <>
<> KELLY FAETANINI – Uma, Audrey <>
BEAUTIES IN BLUE!
Blue, originally the most worn wedding dress color, prior to Queen Victoria’s statement white gown, blue was the color of “purity”. Blue’s an ideal match for weddings along the water, it will be your calming force that day!
<> SAREH NOURI – Eliza, Farah <>
<> MIRA ZWILLINGER – Skye <>
<> KELLY FAETANINI – Margo, Star <>
POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW!
Whether you’re pulling inspo from fall foliage or a regal bride who wants to stand out among the white columns of a historic mansion, perhaps even pull in a castle’s gold leaf detailing…Gold is a girls best friend – not just diamonds!
This was the year of ball gowns, straps + statement bows! We saw a swing towards “the bigger the better” in the form of full ball gowns + long trains. While strapless gowns continue to set our brides’ hearts aflutter, we saw an increase in brides looking for gowns with straps. And don’t forget the statement pieces, the winner would have to be the detachable bows…what a great way to get two looks in one!
The one thing that hasn’t changed? Our brides are the BEST!!!! A huge thank you to all of our 2019 brides for continually reminding us why we have the best “job” in the world!
1) THE BIGGER THE BETTER
This year it was go big or go home, we have seen some of longest trains + biggest skirts we have ever seen. Talk about the wow factor!
Give me the straps! For many years, strapless dominated. These days, brides want to make sure they look different than their friends who said “I Do” before them. That means more brides are requesting some sort of strap. From thin to thick, off the shoulder to detachable, straps were a hit this past year!
3) STATEMENT PIECES
We styled many brides this year who wanted a way of standing out! Statement pieces became a fan-favorite in the form of bows, capes, and unique fabrics.
You chose your venue + set the date…now it’s time for the gown! One current trend that we could literally wrap our arms around is SLEEVES! Read on below as we walk you through the different types of wedding gowns with sleeves + help you navigate which sleeve you’d love the most!
A NOD TO TRADITION
Carolina Herrera – “Lainey”
A floral-inspired lace sleeve is perfect for the bride who likes a traditional look. For the bride looking to modernize this classic style, we love the laser-cut lace Carolina selected for this gown, which gives it a more updated feel!
SLEEK + MODERN
Suzanne Neville “Adair” | Sareh Nouri “Belle” Winter whites can pack a punch when they’re done using crisp lines on sleek silhouettes. The ultimate in sophistication…you’ll be the talk of the town, just ask Meghan Markle.
THE HINT OF SEDUCTION
Suzanne Neville “Luella” The newest trend on the runway is that of subtle seduction, just a peek-a-boo, from a slit in the skirt to an unlined illusion top. Love the look, but feel it’s a little too revealing? Great news: We can line the bodice and close up the slit.
THE TOUCH OF WHIMSY
Suzanne Neville “Topaz” A hint of delicate garden-inspired applique, accented with subtle clear beading. This gown is the perfect nod to nature for a bride looking for whimsical elegance, and works equally for a summer or winter wedding!
THE BOLD + THE BEAUTIFUL
Kelly Faetanini “Adair” When you hear wedding gowns with sleeves, it doesn’t always have to be long, check out this next one! Another laser cut lace, yet this time instead of a floral pattern we have an intricate design, creating a bold fresh look. What’s even better about this gown is it can be done with short sleeves or long. Scroll down for our Real ALSW Bride rocking this gown in a full sleeve!
Suzanne Neville “Nouevau” | Amsale “Angeline” Not fully committed to a sleeve? No worries…we have detachable options! Many of our designers can make the sleeve from an existing design detachable, or we can layer a jacket over the top of a gown to create a two-in-one look!
Having a destination wedding can be fun & exciting, yet can cause some stress when it comes to traveling with your gown! After more than seven years of working with destination brides, here are our top 3 tips that we’ve learned along the way!
1. First and foremost….carry your gown with you! We cannot stress this enough, so let us say it again. CARRY YOUR GOWN WITH YOU! You do not want to have to worry about a lost bridal gown in the few days prior to your wedding.
2. Most times if you contact your airline and inform them that you’ll be bringing your gown with you, they will suggest ways of storing it on board. In most cases the aircraft has a coat closet where you can store your gown.
3. Nervous of your gown leaving your sight? We have had brides purchase separate seats for their gowns! While not necessarily the most economical solution, sometimes that extra peace of mind is worth it!
1. ALSW brides receive a complimentary pressing of their gown. However, traveling with your gown can cause some slight wrinkles, causing the gown to need a slight touch up prior to you walking down the aisle. Planning to travel a distance? We can inform you of the dos and don’ts for touching up your gown fabric. When it comes to ironing versus steaming, it’s important to choose the correct method!
2. Call your hotel ahead of time to ensure there is an iron and steamer available. If not, arrange to rent one.
3. Some wedding venues have an in-house event planner that may provide a gown pressing service, so be sure to do your a little research before you arrive.
“I said I do, but I’m far from home, what should I do with the gown now?”
1. After spending a full day in your gown, it has likely collected some dirt throughout the day. The sooner you clean it, the better the results will be! We recommend bringing it back to A Little Something White as quickly as possible.
2. ALSW works closely with an award-winning gown cleaning company. All we ask is that you bring your gown back, pay for the service, and then we will send your gown out to be cleaned and preserved. It’s always good to protect your investment! Even better…as soon as it’s clean, it will be shipped directly to you.
3. Not returning to Connecticut right away? Not to worry…simply designate someone trustworthy to hand carry it back for you or arrange to ship it directly to us. Just give us a heads up if you’re shipping it so that we can be on the lookout for it!
At A Little Something White we believe in the saying “Greatness is not how much you have, but what you give.” Giving back to fellow women and to a cause that is so near and dear to our hearts is so special to us. Our friends over at Brides Against Breast Cancer have been doing something amazing since 1997 by not only helping women to feel amazing on their wedding days, but also giving back to breast cancer research and preventative education.
In 2019, ALSW proudly donated $80,000 worth of bridal gowns to Brides Against Breast Cancer!!