1. Know your date, venue, and the formality of your wedding prior to shopping for a gown. For many brides, shopping for a wedding gown is one of the most exciting and anticipated events in the wedding planning process. However, the location, time of year, and the formality of the event will likely have an impact on the type of dress you will wear. Shopping for a gown before deciding on these details may be frustrating and confusing for you.
2. Bring only those to the appointment who are critical in your decision. When it comes to shopping for your wedding gown, too many opinions can be a bad thing. The most important thing about selecting your wedding gown is how you feel about it, and we encourage you to only bring those individuals you trust most to let your voice be heard above all others. Our ultimate concern is making sure that your experience is positive and happy, so while we will graciously welcome anyone you bring to the appointment, we encourage you to carefully consider who will be coming. One great way to make a larger group part of the experience is to invite them to join you for your jewelry consultation. At that time, you will have already selected the gown, and you will put it on again and can have them provide their opinion on accessories.
3. Prepare for the appointment. With the explosion of websites devoted to helping you find the perfect bridal look, preparing for your appointment may seem daunting rather than exciting. We are here to assure you that at no point should the preparation be overwhelming. The best thing you can do is to look through some magazines so you have a general idea of what you do and don’t like. And if you are someone who has been looking on the web for inspiration since the moment you said “yes” to your fiancé, creating a pinterest board of looks you like can be a great way to narrow your vision. We generally feel that a little preparation goes a long way in helping our consultants identify the right looks for you, but we also recognize that every bride is different. If looking at magazines and websites overwhelms you, or you have done so and feel that you are all over the place, don’t fret. We are here to help you with that, and often just a few minutes with a consultant will give us the information needed to start determining your vision.
4. Eat before you come! At the very least, make sure you have some food in you. One of the most distracting things for a bride is being hungry when trying on wedding gowns. Stepping in and out of bridal gowns requires more energy than you would expect, even with the consultant helping you. The big decision of selecting your wedding gown is much easier when your head is thinking about your gown and not your stomach.
5. Set a budget. We strongly encourage you to consider your budget when shopping for your wedding gown and accessories. Make sure to consider not just the bridal gown, but the veil, accessories, and cost of alterations when setting the budget. It is important to communicate to your consultant the overall budget as well as the budget for your gown, and we strongly encourage you to only try on gowns that fall within your budget. One of the most disappointing things can be falling in love with a gown that is outside of your budget.
6. Keep an open mind. At A Little Something White Bridal Couture, our ultimate goal is to make sure you are completely happy and confident with your selection. Even if you have a particular style in mind, we recommend trying on a few different styles. You would be surprised how often the gown a bride wears is slightly different from what she initially envisioned. Additionally, gowns often look very different on the hanger than they look on your body. Have fun with it!
7. Stay true to yourself. It is the confidence and beauty inspired by the gown that makes a bride beautiful, not the gown itself. Your gown should reflect who you are and what your vision is for your wedding, so that when you step into your gown on your wedding day, you feel nothing less than spectacular. Other people’s visions for you may be beautiful as well, but yours is the one that matters most.
8. Don’t try to do too much at once. We recommend devoting one appointment to selecting your gown and veil and the second appointment to selecting your jewelry. We want to make sure this process is enjoyable, not overwhelming, and therefore we find brides are more at ease when they don’t have to make every single decision on one day. If you are time constrained and must select everything all at once, we will find a way to make that happen, so don’t worry!
9. Be honest with your consultant. We don’t expect our brides to love every gown in the store or every gown that they try on. As you are trying on gowns, be honest with your consultant about what you do and don’t like, and be specific! We find that the more honest you are, the more fun you can have with this process.
10. Make a day of it! The process of selecting your wedding gown is much more enjoyable when you are relaxed. A Little Something White is located in the heart of Darien, surrounded by several restaurants, coffee shops, and even a day spa. If time allows, we recommend taking advantage of some of these great local spots either before or after your appointment. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the day you select your wedding gown than a gathering with family and friends! Please click here to view a list of local shops, eateries, and fun places located less than 1 mile from our boutique.
11. Make an appointment during the week if possible. All brides who make an appointment with us are entitled to a 1 ½ hour appointment. On our busiest days, which usually are on Saturdays or during Trunk Shows, we have to stay true to that time frame out of respect for all of our brides. If you have the ability to take a day off during the week, we recommend doing so, as we tend to be less busy on those days.
12. Enjoy the experience. This may be last on our list, but it is by far and away the most important. This process should not be stressful. We truly believe that if you follow the tips on this list, we can make sure that your experience is wonderful. We want you to remember your gown shopping experience as a happy, exciting, and special time in the wedding planning process. We are here to help you accomplish that, and if there anything more we can do, please let us know.